Chelsea have an easy route to securing the loan signing of Barcelona forward and Erling Haaland alternative Antoine Griezmann, as Barcelona are desperate to get rid of the Frenchman.
Griezmann, 30, is one of many big-earners at the Nou Camp that are on the selling list, as the Catalan giants are in great need of reducing the wage bill in order to sign up free signings, and more importantly afford to keep Lionel Messi.
The other players that Barcelona’s hierarchy are in need of selling are ex-Liverpool attacker Philippe Coutinho, and Griezmann’s French compatriot Ousmane Dembele.
Nou Camp president Joan Laporte claimed on Tuesday Barcelona are increasingly confident of keeping free agent Messi.
But Ronald Koeman’s men are also battling to balance their finances following the coronavirus pandemic.
And Barca have placed the 30-year-old high up the list of players who are underperforming compared to their wages.
The 95-cap star’s high salary and age is making it tough to flog him out to a new club.
Spanish newspaper Marca have reported of the Catalan giant’s most recent attempt to get ride of the Les Bleus forward.
They say that Koeman’s side were keen to put together a part-exchange type of deal with Spanish champions involving Griezmann and young Portuguese forward Joao Felix.
Both players who have struggled to adapt to La Liga so far in their careers.
However, the offer was reportedly swatted away immediately with Diego Simeone’s side not keen on losing the youngster and trading him with an ageing Griezmann.
Chelsea come into the equation as they have been linked to making a loan move for the Frenchman, after it appeared that they were getting nowhere with their pursuit of first choice target Erling Haaland.
The latest on Haaland is keeping the Griezmann option open.
“It’s going to be very difficult,” Kaveh Solhekol told Sky Sports News. “It’s no secret that Chelsea want to sign a number nine this summer.
“And Erling Haaland is their number one target.”
He went on to add: “As far as Haaland is concerned, Borussia Dortmund are saying he is not for sale, even though he has this release clause in his contract which means he could leave next summer for about £75m.
“Now some of the biggest clubs like Chelsea are thinking that they could steal a march on their rivals this summer by offering Dortmund more than that release clause.
“Maybe that will tempt Dortmund to sell him.
“But of course, Borussia Dortmund are saying he’s not for sale, and once more we’ve already raised £73m by agreeing to sell Jadon Sancho to Manchester United.
“But still Chelsea are interested and still want to sign him.
“We’ve spoken to someone who’s involved in the deal, and he said it’s going to be very difficult.
“He said at the moment, it looks like ‘mission impossible’ but Chelsea are trying.
“It’s unlikely but who knows- it could still happen.”
With the Blues struggling to convince Borussia Dortmund to part ways with their striker this summer, the 30-year-old has come into the picture in regards to maybe being a short-term option to fill the void upfront in Thomas Tuchel’s team.
Reports from Sport, suggested that the Blues are keen on exploring a deal and were the most active club in recent days when it came to negotiations with the current Barcelona forward.
The Frenchman made a total of 51 appearances last season for Spanish club, scoring 20 and assisting 13.
The ex-Atletico Madrid player also heavily featured in France’s run to the Euro 2020 round of 16, where he featured in four of the games, scoring the one goal against Hungary in the 1-1 group stage draw.
If Chelsea are to sign the Barcelona forward this summer, it will depend on the final outcome of their Erling Haaland pursuit which we may not find out about until the latter stages of the transfer window.
Source by Football London