Chelsea have ideal opportunity to seal £35m Declan Rice alternative after Champions League shock

Chelsea are set for a busy final week of the transfer window as head coach Thomas Tuchel looks to make further improvements to his star-studded squad.

The former Paris Saint-Germain boss has already added a world-class centre-forward to his ranks in the form of Belgian frontman Romelu Lukaku, who returned to Stamford Bridge for a second spell at the club earlier this month.

The Blues are also nearing a move for Sevilla centre-half Jules Kounde, with transfer expert Gianluca Di Marzio claiming on Wednesday evening that a €50million (£42.7m) deal to sign the Frenchman is “almost done”.

Chelsea have also been linked with various midfielders, including the likes of Atletico Madrid maestro Saul Niguez and West Ham United talisman Declan Rice, who is reportedly valued at around £100m by the Hammers, a price that the west London club would be unlikely to pay.

However, the reigning champions of Europe may have been handed a boost in their pursuit of another central-midfielder, Aurelien Tchouameni, after his parent club Monaco were knocked out of the UEFA Champions League during their play-off tie with Shakhtar Donetsk.

READ ALSO:   Watch as Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is transformed for Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk fight

Monaco trailed 1-0 after the first leg on home soil, but took a 2-0 lead against Shakhtar – only to conede in the 74th minute and five minutes from extra-time finishing to be beaten 3-2 on aggregate.

football.london reported back in July that the Blues met with Tchouameni’s representatives to discuss a potential move for the French youngster, who is valued at around £35m by Monaco.



Chelsea are eyeing French midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni. (Photo by Chris Ricco - UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)
Chelsea are eyeing French midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni. (Photo by Chris Ricco – UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)

And The Telegraph previously claimed that Monaco exiting Europe could result in a cut-price deal for the 21-year-old.

“If Monaco suddenly go out of the Champions League and decide they need money, then that would be an opportunity that presents itself, so I wouldn’t fully rule it out,” reporter Matt Law told the London is Blue podcast.

READ ALSO:   Arsenal supporters 'work out the flight Ben White is on' to finalise £50m summer transfer

Tchouameni would represent a fantastic addition to the squad if former Blue Cesc Fabregas is to be believed, with the Spaniard giving a glowing recommendation of his teammate earlier this summer.

“I think he can play anywhere in midfield and he will not have a problem,” he told BT Sport.

“He can play as a defensive midfielder, a six as well, he can play as a number eight.

“In (a few) years’ time, I even believe he can become a good number 10 because he has the power to get into the box. His final pass needs to improve a little bit but he is so young.

“He is determined to learn and from what I can see and the will that he has, he has a bright future in front of him.”

Source by Football London

Share and Enjoy !

Shares

Leave a Reply