Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone has admitted that “a lot of things can happen” regarding Saul Niguez’s future amid links with a move to Chelsea.
The Spanish midfielder has looked likely to leave the club during the current window, having fallen down the pecking order at the Wanda Metropolitano.
He has been linked with the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United, as both Premier League teams aimed to seal a deal before deadline day. It was reported that he could be available on-loan, with an option to buy potentially being agreed for the conclusion of the 2021/22 season.
But with just a couple of days to go in the window, Saul remains at Atletico Madrid and he came off the bench in their 2-2 draw against Villarreal in La Liga on Sunday.
Speaking after the game, Simeone admitted that the midfielder’s future remains up in the air.
Talking to Marca, he said: “Today I told him everything I think and feel, there is not much else. He’s been with us since we came here. We took him out of the academy and helped him achieve everything that he could achieve in his career.
“Now we will see what happens. We know that in football a lot of things can happen.”
Saul has certainly become an Atleti stalwart under Simeone in recent seasons. Now at the age of 26, he has managed to accumulate 339 appearances for the Spanish giants and more than played his part in the club’s La Liga success last term.
The midfielder still has five years left to run on his current contract in Madrid, and previously admitted that he would stay at Atleti so long as Diego Simeone remained at the reins.
Chelsea also remain strongly linked to another La Liga star during the final days of the transfer window – Jules Kounde.
Source by Football London