Chelsea and Thomas Tuchel are keen to add another midfielder to the squad roster before the 11pm deadline on Tuesday night.
Romelu Lukaku and Marcus Bettinelli are the two signings that have come into Stamford Bridge this summer for £98million, with over £100m being generated in player sales alone.
This has meant that funds are available for the Blues to add a central midfielder to the squad to provide cover for the injury-prone Ngolo Kante.
Billy Gilmour leaving on loan means that Kante, Mateo Kovacic, and Jorginho are the only recognisable and natural midfielders that the German boss has to choose from at this current moment, which is a worry considering the large abundance of games that the west Londoners will have to play this season.
Saul Niguez and Aurelien Tchouameni are the two main targets, with the former looking more likely to happen before the window shuts as it stands.
With that being said, football.london has rounded up all the reports regarding Niguez and a possible move to the European champions.
Loan deal being discussed
90min Football’s transfer correspondent Graeme Bailey has claimed that talks between Chelsea and Atletico Madrid had been reignited after initial talks broke down.
An option to buy was the demand from the west Londoners but Diego Simeone’s side reportedly want an obligation to buy at around £35million, as some reports claim.
Tuchel is currently driving the deal forward to sign a new central midfielder.
Bailey tweeted: ‘Chelsea and Atletico Madrid are talking again about Saul Niguez deal. Talks broke down between player and club last week, but Chelsea have come back as Thomas Tuchel wants another centre midfielder. Will be a loan.’
Saul deal being ‘blocked’
Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano has poured cold water on a potential late Saul to Chelsea move with his update on Monday night on where things stood in relation to this specific deal.
His most recent tweet on Chelsea read: “Chelsea had a complicated and tense day for Jules Koundé negotiations with Sevilla. Deal on the verge of collapsing many times but… today Chelsea will try again with final approach. Sevilla are so strong on their position.
“Saúl deal now completely blocked.”
Sarabia replacement and Diego Simeone hint
Spanish outlet Diario AS have contradicted Romano’s latest report as they are claiming alongside El Chiringuito TV that a deal for the out of favour Atletico Madrid midfielder is moving closer.
The former have reported that Diego Simeone’s side are working on the arrival of Spanish International Pablo Sarabia for the potential departure of Saul Niguez.
“If Sarabia joins, Saul leaves amid interest from Chelsea. The formula of a loan deal with option to buy is being discussed. His departure is ‘closer than ever’,” said Diario AS.
Manager Simeone himself has opened the door to the potential departure of the once £100million rated player.
Talking to Marca after the most recent La Liga game against Villarreal, he said: “Today I told him everything I think and feel, there is not much else. He’s been with us since we came here. We took him out of the academy and helped him achieve everything that he could achieve in his career.
“Now we will see what happens. We know that in football a lot of things can happen.”
Jacob Steinberg of The Guardian has reported that Chelsea’s hope of signing the Atletico Madrid midfielder is now officially over due to a compromise not being able to made on the conditions of the loan.
His tweet read: ‘I’m told that Chelsea’s hopes of signing Saul Niguez on loan are over. Could be a late turnaround but at the moment the deal is off. Over to Kounde…’
football.london understands that a maximum of two players could be brought into the club before the deadline passes, with Saul being potentially one of those recruits.
However, as we move ever closer to the deadline, the possibility of any incoming is starting to look more unlikely.
Source by Football London