Owo Attack: Akeredolu says FG’s conclusion on ISWAP hasty | The Guardian Nigeria News

Insists It’s Time For State Police
Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, has described the Federal Government’s pronouncement of Islamic State’s West Africa Province (ISWAP) as the group behind the Owo church massacre as too hasty.

Akeredolu noted that he took the pronouncement with a pinch of salt, adding that ISWAP is known for claiming responsibility for their attacks.

Abuja had, on Thursday, fingered ISWAP as responsible for the attack at the St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, on June 5, 2022.

Speaking yesterday during a virtual interaction with Christian Solidarity International (CSI), a Swiss-based Christian human rights organisation, the Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) refusing to accept the National Security Council (NSC)’s conclusion 

READ ALSO:   COVID-19: FG Starts Negotiations For Vaccine Supply In Nigeria

“The statement is too hasty. I take their conclusion with a pinch of salt. ISWAP don’t hide their attacks. If they have done it, they would have owned up. We are yet to know their identity and our security people are still on their trail,” he said.

Noting that the attack was a crime against humanity, the governor stressed that the South West region had been a peaceful haven before the horrific attack. 

According to him, despite the attack on their psyche, the people of the state are indomitable and ready to fight insecurity. 

He reiterated the call for state police and noted that the time is now, emphasising that the present security architecture of the country could not provide adequate security. 

READ ALSO:   #EndSARS: Nigeria Has Lost N700billion

His words: “A single police command can not guarantee safety in this country. We must have state police now. We are doing our best with Amotekun. But Amotekun is suffering a lot of limitations in getting all the equipment needed to fight these criminals.”

Akeredolu commended the international community for prompt reactions on the massacre in Owo, saying it was unprecedented.

The government is determined to help the victims of the attack, particularly those who lost their loved ones and those on admission in the hospital, he added.

Share and Enjoy !

Shares

Leave a Reply