Liverpool look set to sanction a double departure in the coming days, while the referee for the Community Shield clash against Man City has now been revealed. Here’s your Wednesday news roundup.
Two more Liverpool exits now imminent
Having already offloaded Sadio Mane, Takumi Minamino and a host of young players on loan deals, two more players look set to leave Liverpool in the coming days.
Neco Williams, the Wales full-back who has been the subject of speculation all summer, is now nearing a permanent move away from the club, according to The Athletic‘s David Ornstein.
Nottingham Forest, who are said to have been courting Williams for weeks, are reported to be close to a double deal to sign Williams as well as Bayern Munich full-back Omar Richards, with Ornstein adding that both agreements could be in place by the weekend.
Liverpool are said to have been holding out for a fee in the region of £15m for Williams, so it’ll be interesting to see the final figure they agree on.
Meanwhile, another Liverpool full-back, Owen Beck, is now close to completing a loan switch to Portuguese Primeira Liga outfit Famalicao, reports GOAL‘s Neil Jones.
A number of clubs in England and abroad are said to have registered their interest in Beck, who made two first-team appearances in the League Cup last season.
Clearly, Liverpool now feel that Beck, who turns 20 this year, would benefit from regular first-team football, and the prospect of a move to Portugal is certainly an interesting one.
Luke Chambers, the Liverpool under-23’s left-back who won the under-19 European Championships with England last week, is hoping for a chance in the wake of Beck’s departure, having been part of first-team training in the early days of pre-season.
3 things today: Jurgen won’t be happy!
- Jurgen Klopp will not be best pleased with news that Craig Pawson will referee Liverpool’s Community Shield clash with Man City, after the Reds’ boss accused him of “hiding” last season.
- Darwin Nunez‘s star-making form in Portugal last term has now been recognised as melhor jogador – in English, Player of the Year – with the Portuguese MVP award.
Latest Liverpool FC news
- Virgil van Dijk has rubbed shoulders with Rangers while stepping up his pre-season preparations in Portugal, having been pictured with fellow countryman and manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst.
- Liverpool Women have completed the signing of a player who is set to feature at the upcoming Women’s Euros which start today.
Latest transfer chat
?? Someone fixed it!
— Borussia Dortmund (@BVB) July 6, 2022
- From Haaland to Haller! Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Ajax striker Sebastien Haller for a fee in the region of €35m.
- Newcastle have reportedly been in contact with Everton over the £35m signing of Anthony Gordon. Is Michael Edwards working at Goodison now?!
- Man United have made a £51m bid to sign Brazilian winger Antony from Ajax, according to GOAL. Is Erik ten Hag just going to sign all of his ex-players?
Tweet of the day and match of the night
Seven whole years of Bobby!
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) July 6, 2022
England get the Women’s Euros underway with their Group A clash against Austria at Old Trafford this evening. Kick-off is set for 8pm GMT.